Tanum church is one of two medieval churches in Bærum, built in around 1100-1130. It is a Romanesque church, with frescoes from the 1300s, and medieval sculptures. In 1674, the Krefting family built a sacristy with burial chambers beneath it on the north side of the chancel. However, this soon became too small, and in 1713 a larger burial chapel was built on the north side of the church, wall to wall with the sacristy. In total, around 40 members of the family were laid to rest in these two tombs. The church was expanded in 1722 and restored in the 1970s. The church has capacity for 250 persons. Tanum church is located along the medieval road, which went from Oslo through Bærum to Asker church and on to Lier, and has been a popular subject for many artists.