There was not an exact match for the language you toggled to. You have been redirected to the nearest matching page within this section.
- Level of difficulty: moderate
- Length: approx. 6 kilometres return (3 km each way)
- Season: spring / summer / autumn
- Elevation gain/drop: approx. 200 m
- Source: Søndre Land municipality
Panoramic views from the roof of Veståsen
After a drive along Veståsen’s many forest lanes, you will soon find the way-marked trail up Øyvasslia to Store Skjellingshovde – Søndre Lands second highest point (856 m above sea level). If you are brave enough, we recommend a climb to the top of the fire tower for a spectacular panorama.
• See recommended trip at UT.no
Follow Skjellingsvegen from Fluberg bridge to the northern end of Grevsjøen, approx. 15 kilometres. Continue along a narrow forest lane north along Øyvasselva between Grevsjøen and Øyvatnet. After some 2 km you will reach the end of the forest lane, and this is where the hike starts.
Land Rotary has prepared a network of way-marked trails at Nordre Land Vestås, and this particular one leads up from Aurlundssetra and Vesterås. Follow the trail up Øyvasslia. As you cross the vast clearings, there are spectacular views north-east to the old mountain farm, Vesterås. The trail continues up the hillside and eventually joins the road to Skjellingen mountain farm. From here, follow the steep trail up to Store Skjellingshovde. At Skjellingshovde there is an old fire tower, and if you are brave enough to climb up you will be rewarded with a 360-degree panorama. If climbing fire towers is not for you, there is a picnic area 200 metres west of the tower with beautiful views to the south-west.
Show consideration during your visit, and follow these basic guidelines:
• Adhere to the code of conduct for public right of access
• Park at designated car parks and campsites
• Take your litter home or use the bins provided
• Remember the rules for keeping dogs on a lead; respect campfire bans and restrictions, and use designated sites only
• Try to use local shops along the route
• Drive nicely, but not too nicely – keep up with the traffic
• Last, but not least; ENJOY your trip!