Halsnøy monastery is on the island Halsnøy in the southern part of Kvinnherad. The monastery was finished in 1164 - built by the viking chief Erling Skakke (Erling the Wry). His son, Magnus Erlingson, was the king of Norway at the time.In the late middle ages this monastery was regarded as one of the mightiest monasteries in this part of the country. Today, the ruins of this monastery are a museum. The collection consists of ruins of the monastery itself, a main house, a boat house and stones from the monastery church. The monastery is also the scene of cultural events.
The new tunnel to Halsnøy makes it easier to get to Halsnøy Monastery.
During the summer the café in the main house is open, and serves coffee, norwegian waffle and cake.
In the basement gallery there are art exhibitions of both national and international artists.
Opening hours 11:00 - 16:30 (tuesdays-sundays 17. June - 13. August).