Nes Church is situated on a peninsula in the Norsjø lake, between Gvarv and Akkerhaugen. It was built of stone as a long nave church in about 1150. It is one of the most beautiful of the small Middle Ages churches in Telemark. The portals, corners and window apertures are finely hewn out of a marble-like limestone. The chancel is decorated with scenes from the fighting missionary church. Harry Fett, Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings, states that "it is, without doubt, the most beautiful intimate room preserved in Norway, among the best examples of Norwegian interior art".