Utne Hotel is one Norway's oldest hotel in continual operation, licensed since 1722. It was founded in 1722 by Sergeant Børsem, who was granted permission by King Christian VII to operate an inn as partial payment after the great Scandinavian War. His family took over operations in 1787, running the hotel up until the end of 1995. Torbjørg Utne (1812 - 1903), known as "Mother Utne", gave the hotel the distinctive character it has today. As Consul Parr ascertained in the mid-1800s: "These are the best quarters in the country". The hotel was renovated winter 2003, and it is very well-preserved, and remains an intimate and distinctive hotel with a personal atmosphere.